I’m feeling remiss about not checking in with my blog much lately, so I decided to do a quick update. I have a lot going on, and some of it might even lead to that goal of making money as a screenwriter this year. If not directly, as I hope, then eventually. But only if I keep working, keep moving forwards. These are some of the things I have happening right now:
1. I have been talking with a producer about a possible movie writing assignment, and I love the project. I’ve been doing a lot of research on the arena and music involved, as well as sketching out preliminary outlines and ideas to pitch. I’ll say more about that when I know more.
2. I’m still dragging my feet on my White Collar Spec: Into Temptation. It’s silly, really, because I have such an extensive outline it practically writes itself. It’s just more fun to be in the creative stages of new projects right now. I’m committing to spending time on it today, and concentrating on remembering how good it will feel to have another solid writing sample in my portfolio.
3. When I’m not obsessing about the two projects above, I’m in my head rewriting the original pilot I’ve been working on, on and off for two years now. One of the tricks my subconsious likes to play is to get me interested in a different project than the one I am trying to finish. It’s amazing how resourceful my procrastination mechanism is.
4. I’ve recently discovered “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” Believe it or not, I had never seen an episode. It’s so cheesy and brilliant, it is irresistible. Joss Whedon is my new hero. Unfortunately, getting through 144 episodes takes quite an investment of time. What can I say? It’s a labor of love.
5. I have an interview for a website content-writer position this morning. Not nearly as exciting, but it’s always good to put myself out there in the world.
6. Two writing groups plus networking events are ongoing.
7. Script Evaluation training, so I can give professional feedback on scripts and the tool set for students at Writers Boot Camp.
So that’s my update. No wonder I feel like my head is spinning and I have no time to blog. The question I have to ask myself is whether I’m working hard, smart or both. The answer? I’ll have to get back to you.